So in your new bid to eat clean, starting the day with a good breakfast is key. Not only to kick-start your metabolism, but also to ensure your blood sugar levels stay in control and to stop mid-morning cravings. Including protein and healthy fat in every meal and snack plays a hugely important role in this.
We don’t all have time for a cooked breakfast each day, but just topping your porridge with a few chopped nuts and seeds, or cracking a raw egg into your fruit smoothie, will up the protein content and keep you satiated for longer.
And when the weekend comes around, and you have more time, how about trying this simple and delicious smoked salmon kedgeree – rich in protein and good fats, and perfect for the whole family.
Smoked Salmon Kedgeree
175g basmati rice
2 tsp Coconoil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
150g smoked salmon, cut into strips
4 eggs, soft boiled, peeled and halved
handful parsley, chopped
1. Cook the rice according to the pack instructions. Drain.
2. Heat the Coconoil in a wok or large frying pan and cook the mustard seeds for 1 minute, or until they begin to ‘pop’.
3. Add the red onion and cook for 2 minutes to soften before adding the mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in the turmeric, cook for 1 minute and then stir in the rice and mix together well.
5. Stir in the smoked salmon, softly boiled eggs and parsley.
6. Season to taste and serve.