Christmas is almost upon us!
So if you didn’t make your Christmas Cake on Stir-up Sunday, and you haven’t managed to find one to suit your healthy diet – it’s not too late!
You can make our delicious gluten and dairy free cake now – it’s easy to make, doesn’t have to bake for hours, will store easily, and be perfect on Christmas Day (if it lasts that long!).
100g dates, chopped
140g dried apricots, chopped
100g goji berries
150ml Amaretto liqueur (or liquor of your choice)
175g blanched almonds
100g cashew nuts
2 knobs stem ginger, diced
225g dark muscovado sugar
150g Coconoil, softened
180g almond flour
45g coconut flour
½ tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
75g marzipan (optional)
- Place the sultanas, dates, apricots, goji berries and raisins in a large bowl and pour over the Amaretto. Stir well then cover and leave to stand for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, roughly chop 100g of the almonds and all of the cashew nuts and stir them into the dried fruits, along with the stem ginger.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas mark 3. Grease and line a 23cm spring-form cake tin, with double thickness baking paper.
- Place the sugar and softened Coconoil in to a large bowl (to soften Coconoil place in a microwave and heat on the lowest setting for 20-30 seconds). Cream the sugar and Coconoil together until soft and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and then stir in the flour and mixed spice, and finally the dried fruit and nuts. Top with the remaining blanched almonds, in a design of your choice, just pressing them into the cake mixture.
- Place a circle of baking paper on top of the cake, with a small hole cut in the centre, and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes – until a sharp knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and remove the outside of the cake tin. Brush the top of the cake with the stem ginger syrup.
- Optional – Roll the marzipan and cut a star shape and place on top of the cake whilst still warm.
- Remove from the base of the cake tin after 10-15 minutes, and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Wrap in baking paper and the foil and place in an air-tight container to store.