- 235g (8 ½ oz) self-raising flour
- pinch of mixed spice
- 115g (4 oz) light muscodavo sugar
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 115g (4 oz) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g (1 ¾ oz) dark chocolate, chopped
For the topping
- 150g (5 ½ oz) dates
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 100ml (3 ½ fl oz) water
- 100g (3 ½ oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C/325°F/Gas mark 3. Grease and base line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the top is golden and a knife inserted comes out clean (except for a bit of melted chocolate on it).
- Meanwhile, place the dates, water and molasses into a small pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the dates are soft and the liquid is syrupy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before blending to a puree (you may need to add a teaspoon of water to help loosen.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water then leave to cool slightly before adding to the date mixture. Beat together.
- When the cake is cooked remove from the tin and leave to cool on a baking rack for 20 minutes before spreading the topping over the top.