A sweet and healthy to kickstart to your day, great as a midday snack too!
Use your favourite fruits and spices to make a warming compote and if you’re out of bread, try serving with natural yogurt.
Serves – 4
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
- 675g plums, halved and stoned
- Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 25g Coconoil
- 4 slices of wholemeal or granary bread
- 2tbsp flaked almonds
1) Place the plums, juice and rind of the orange and the honey in a medium pan and slowly bring to a simmer.
2) Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and sugar then place them into a shallow bowl.
3) Melt the Coconoil in a large frying pan.
4) Lay a slice of bread in the sweetened egg for just a few seconds, then turn it over to enable it to soak up the egg on both sides. Once soaked up, place it in the pan to cook for 4-5 minutes on either side, until golden.
5) Repeat with the remaining slices of bread then place them onto warmed plates, spoon over the plum compote and top with a sprinkling of flaked almonds.
Thanks to Joy Skipper for recipe and photos.