- 2 tsp Coconoil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 125 g red lentils
- 500 g butternut, chopped
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 100-150 ml soya milk
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, before adding the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the red lentils and butternut and stir well to coat with the spices.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the red lentils have swollen and the sweet potato is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a hand blender or in a food processor, adding the soya milk if the soup is too thick.
- Return to the heat and heat through before serving.